Do’s and Don’ts
- Always be respectful at all times.
- Clothing: you are not required to cover arms and legs though men should not go topless.
- Be quiet.
- No flash when taking photos.
- No photos in the Commemoration Hall in “Kung Sor”
- No smoking.
What To Do?
To pray for education success:
When to go: 3 weeks before school starts.
What do do:
- Prepare your offerings which includes paper offerings, 3 joss sticks, one scallion (for intelligence) and one Chinese celery (for diligence).
- Also bring along the student’s books, stationery and pens.
- Pick a good day and good time to go.
- Put the books and stationery items on the altar.
- Student should offer the joss sticks to the god, pray to the Civil God and state his/her wishes.
- Burn the paper offerings.
- When the burning of offerings is finished, the student should go and touch the big brush in front of the Civil God.
- Go towards the urn, the student’s pen shall go round the urn clockwise three times to bless the pen.
- Put a “lai see” (a packet with money offering) to the offering box.
- Back home, cook the scallion and Chinese celery and let the student eat it.
Other popular time to visit:
- Chinese New Year
- 3rd of second lunar month (birthday of the God of Literature”)
- before exams
To pray for success, peace and prosperity:
Offerings typically includes paper offerings, lettuce (wealthy), joss sticks, 3 longevity joss sticks, money offerings and fruits. Round shaped fruits and Chinese mandarin are often chosen for luck though one should avoid tomato and plums.
What is the opening hours?
Man Mo Temple Hollywood road opens at 8:00a.m. and close at 6:00p.m.